Who benefits from Hypopressives?
The short answer would be: EVERYONE can benefit from Hypopressive Training!
Hypopressives should be seen as the foundation for all other physical activity as well as a stand-alone form of exercise. However, the function of very specific groups of people could be improved substantially if they were to learn the Hypopressives.
HYPOPRESSIVE TRAINING can help with:
- Incontinence issues
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse Issues
- Post Natal Women
- Back Pain and Posture
- HERNIA (including vertebral disc hernia) issues
- Sexual Function
What is Hypopressives?
Hypopressives is a series of postures and breathing techniques that you can do anywhere and without any equipment. The method cannot be learnt from a video due to its simple but very technical nature. You should only try to learn this from a qualified Hypopressives instructor. Here at Therapy First Physiotherapy, Jaz is a qualified Level 1 Hypopressive Trainer. If you have any questions about how this training could help you, feel free to contact Jaz on 07545767067 or email@example.com
Below is some more information about Hypopressives taken with permission from the UK Hypopressive Master Trainers
The term ‘HYPOpressive’ refers to decrease or reduction in pressure, whereas most traditional exercises, including abdominal exercises are HYPERpressive – they increase internal pressure. Specifically, with Hypopressives we are referring to pressure related to the thoracic, abdominal and pelvic cavities. What happens as a result of the internal pressure we are subjected to from, for example, gravity, everyday activities and physical training, depends entirely on an individual’s ability to handle that pressure.
But pressure will always find the weakest point and this can be the cause of medical conditions such as urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and hernias. If a woman has had a baby, they’re likely to have experienced those internal pressures on already weakened structures. Therefore, they’re more like to suffer from such conditions.
Hypopressive training re-programmes the core muscles, including the pelvic floor, which are vital in managing pressure consciously and sub-consciously. Typical pelvic floor and core exercises, such as Pilates, train conscious core control. But the core needs to be able, and is designed to, cope at a subconscious level. Typical pelvic floor and core exercise such as Pilates relies on conscious muscle contraction.
It’s all very well in a training environment where you are able to “brace” or “hollow” before physical activity. But what happens in daily life when, for example, you reach to pick up a heavy toddler who’s fallen over. Your focus is on your child and you are relying on your core at a sub-conscious level.
Doing Hypopressive exercises increases the resting tone and involuntary function of the core muscles. In other words, the core starts to work as it was designed to do. In order to learn Hypopressives individuals need expert instruction. The protocol is to train twice a week for 5 weeks where you learn all the technical aspects of the breathing and postures and you’re taught a 20-25 minute routine. The full re-programming of the core is then completed when you do that routine for 30 days in a row.
Hypopressives has many proven benefits which include:
- Reduces waist size and flattens the abdominal wall (average 8% reduction with no dietary changes – contrast to abdominal crunches that can dome the abdominal wall and make it look bigger)
- Increases abdominal and pelvic floor muscle tone (average 58%)
- Prevention and treatment of incontinence, prolapse and hernias
- Increases explosive strength and anaerobic capacity for sports performance
- Raises metabolism (up to 15%)
- Improvement of sexual function & pleasure
- Improves posture (not just the ‘core’ part but also improves the upper back ‘stoop’ so many of us have)
- Activates the sympathetic nervous system – this means it is stimulating – a few Hypopressives can wake you up as much as a cup of coffee without the negative side effects (perfect for breastfeeding mums too)
- Strengthens the core deeply so you can withstand HYPERpressive activities without causing pelvic floor damage (so you can safely jump and skip and laugh away without using TENA lady!)
Book an Appointment